Wednesday, August 8, 2012

Where's the beef?

Wednesday, August 8, 2012

You may remember the old Wendy's commercial with the irritated old woman demanding to know "WHERE'S THE BEEF?" Well, I can relate! My fat cells were protesting yesterday. "We haven't had spaghetti with garlic bread and a tossed salad in a long time. Barbecued chicken and corn on the cob would be good. Even a Subway sandwich and chips would go a long way towards appeasing us. We need something that doesn't look, sound, or taste like beans and rice."

Answer: KFC to the rescue. At lunch time today, I went to San Pedro Mall and ordered a Chicky Pack, not realizing it was a kids meal, but it hit the spot, anyway. (And I got a very cool Alvin and the Chipmunks watch that really works!) One greasy, fried chicken sandwich, some crispy, greasy french fries with ketchup, a glass of Mug rootbeer and I was transformed! After classes I went to Pops for a scoop of chocolate ice cream. I am once again in harmony with the universe. All is well. Ahhh...

During the weekly cooking class today, we made Picadillo de papa y chayote. It has beef in it!
I FINALLY FOUND THE BEEF!

Ingredientes:
1 chile grande (big, red)
1 cebolla grande (large chopped onion)
Culantro (cilantro)
3 thingies of ajo (garlic) -- I can't remember what the chunks you break off are called.
6 chayotes (vegetable that rhymes with cayote) No flavor or calories, so I'm not sure of it's purpose...
1 lata of maiz dulce (a can of corn)
Medio de kilo de papas (1/2 kilo of potatoes)
1 kilo de carne molida (1 kilo of ground beef)
Achiote (another vegetable, used for coloring)
Sal (salt)
Salsa de tomate (tomato sauce)

Preparacion:

Cook the pealed potatoes in salted water. Let them cool while you are peeling and chopping the chayotes. Cook the chayotes in a frying pan in some water until almost tender. Add some oil to a frying pan, fry the onions, chile dulce, garlic and ground meat together. Add the chayote to the meat mixture and cook for 20 minutes. Then add the potatoes and let it cook for another 15 minutes. Mix in salsa de tomate, el maiz dulce and cilantro (Yuck! If desired.) Serve with warm corn tortillas.

Culinary Review:
5 thumbs up. Tasty, hearty, filling. I will definitely make this again.


Gather the ingredients


Chop all the vegetables



Fry the meat and vegetables


Serve it in a small corn tortilla
Buen provecho!

2 comments:

  1. Mom -- I emailed you the other day and I'm sending you another one, Please Reply!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Debbie, please email to let me know your arrival information into Atlanta (airlines, flight number, arrival time, etc). I will forward to Dwayne who will be picking you up at the airport.

    ReplyDelete