Tuesday, August 7, 2012

Say what?!

Tuesday, August 7, 2012

The following signs made me feel a lot better about my struggles with learning Spanish. I've been taking these pictures as I see them about town:

Warning about sneaking guests into your hotel room without paying for them.

Translation: Please don't use the white towels to clean the floor or your shoes.

Self-explanatory: old pipes, don't flush toilet paper.


As funny as these are, I have to acknowledge that it is very likely that any of us learning Spanish most likely sound just like this when we are speaking in Spanish.

At school today, we had to give a 10-15 minute speech about some aspect of Costa Rica, such as it's history, culture, or geography. We were given the assignment 2 weeks ago, but I ended up putting it together last night. I just couldn't get excited about having to choose a topic, do the research and put together a speech. I changed my topic 4 times over the past 2 weeks and finally settled on El dia de las madres (Mother's Day) in Costa Rica which happens next week. The talk went ok, but I am glad it is over! Marcia and Jenny made a poster for me to use with my talk. I thought that was very nice of them:



It says, "Mother's Day.  Mothers...It's not important how much we grow up, they always love as like we were little."


It was very humid today. After lunch, the sky darkened and we had quite a downpour which lasted for several hours. It cooled right down, cleared out the steamy humidity and felt great. I found out today how the humidity cycle works around here. First it rains alot. Then the sun comes out and as it dries out the ground and warms everything, the steamy water vapor rises and it feels sticky humid. This ends up in the clouds, which fill up and start the process all over again.

More later...

No comments:

Post a Comment