Thursday, August 2, 2012

Computers and Other Electronics

Thursday, August 2, 2012

The days are beginning to settle into some routine so not too many surprises at this point. However, I still notice the everyday differences and it is sometimes amusing trying to figure out how to use things.

For example, computers. I've used several different computers while here: the computer in the home where I stay and several at school. Each keyboard is different. They have the basic layout of the letters, but the extra stuff, the symbols, are located in different places. Take for example, the @ sign. It is located on the same key as the number 2, right? Well, not here. I've found it in several different places, depending on whose computer I am using. I have to press a key that says, "Alt Gr" while simultaneously pressing the key with the @ sign on it. I've noticed that the dash (-) and underline ( _ ) keys are not in their usual spots. And there are some extra keys and symbols I've never seen before. It takes me a little longer than usual to type things. I'm either looking for a key or trying not to hit a key that has the wrong letter, number, or symbol on it.

And of course, the home page is in Spanish. I am learning a lot of computer-related words in Spanish. La computadora (computer); el raton (mouse, the small furry kind as well); el virus (virus); and el internet (internet).  The @ sign is called the arroba.  Does it have a proper name in English? I've always just called it the "at" sign. For those of you who use Google for your searches, you may have noticed there is a button that says "Search" and another that says "I'm feeling lucky." In Spanish it is buscar and Me siento con suerte.

When I use the computers at school, it is always a surprise to see what language is going to pop up on the homepage. It's never in English, though. I'm getting pretty good at navigating around in French and German.
The electrical outlets are also different. The good news is they are the same as the U.S.: 110v. The bad news is there are hardly any that accept the three prong electrical cords that are used, for example, on computers.  Everything is just the old-fashioned two prong variety. I bought a fancy $20 converter before leaving the U.S. It will convert to whatever system is in use in any part of the world. Nice, but I just needed the little plastic part (that looks like it should cost about $3) for Costa Rica. There are not a lot of outlets here, either. None in the bathroom. And one of the outlets in the bedroom does not work.

My cell phone from the U.S. couldn't find a signal here, so I had to buy an inexpensive pre-paid variety so I wouldn't be walking around the city without a way to call for help should I get lost. It's all in Spanish, which is ok. Most of the words I know, but I still can't figure out how to check voice messages. Text messages yes; voice messages no. Today, I had 3 missed calls and a notice that there was a voice message. I know how to retrieve text messages, but neither Kesa nor I could figure out how to get to the voice mail system. Finally, Marcia came to the rescue, told me the number to access voice mail, and helped me set up my voice mail password. Turns out the phone system was down and I couldn't check the messages.

Fortunately, the toilets are not electronic and function the same as they do in the U.S.!

No comments:

Post a Comment