Thursday, August 16, 2012

The Oscar goes to...

Wednesday, August 15, 2012

We went to see the Disney Pixar movie, Valiente, after school today. Can you guess the translation?



Yep, we saw Brave.

Today was the opening of the movie in Costa Rica. We purchased tickets at lunch time to make sure we had a ticket for a late afternoon showing. Wednesdays are dollar days, so to speak. Movies cost 1000 colones (about $2.00) on Wednesdays, but because this was the opening day, we had to pay full price: 1800 colones (about $3.60).

The ticket did not look like a regular theater ticket. It was more of a cash register receipt. As with just about everything we do for the first time here, we mis-read the information about the show. The young man taking tickets looked at the 3 of us like we were nuts when we showed up at Theater 2, when we really should have been upstairs in Theater 7.

We made a quick stop at the concession stand for some palomitas (popcorn) and a refresco (soft drink). It was interesting ordering the snacks. No problem with the popcorn, but I didn't want Coke and asked for Sprite. The woman was trying to tell me they had 7-Up, but I couldn't understand her pronunciation of 7-Up. I find that I usually do better with Spanish words than trying to understand someone who doesn't speak English trying to tell me the proper name of a product in English! The popcorn was good, lightly seasoned, with an occasional sweet taste. I noticed many people were getting their popcorn drizzled in chocolate, so maybe we had a few drips of chocolate in our bag of popcorn. (Cost for popcorn and soda pop: 2900 colones, or just under $6.00) It looks like they know about inflating the prices for refreshments, too!

Next, we headed to Sala #7. The theater was small and although we had 10 to 15 minutes until show time, it was full and we ended up at the front of the theater in row 2. As the theater filled up, people wanted the seats we were saving for two more people who were going to join us. I learned how to say, "Lo siento. Estoy guardando estes asientos."(I'm sorry, I'm saving these seats.)

The movie was entirely in Spanish. Even the music had been translated and was sung in Spanish. I thoroughly enjoyed the movie. The art work was fantastic and the story was precious. The main character, Princess Merida, reminded me so much of my granddaughter, Ariana, that it is as if they used Ariana for the model. Ariana has a mop of wild, curly red hair, blue eyes, and chubby cheeks just like Princess Merida.

After the movie, as we walked through the mall, we could hear the loud noise of water. We thought it was a fountain out of control or something. It was really loud. When we reached the exit, we saw that it was pouring rain, lightening and thundering with a vengeance. That's what we heard inside the mall. Even with umbrellas, by the time we reached the bus stop, we were drenched. We only had to wait about 5 minutes for the bus, but the rain was so hard that water was running down the streets, making huge puddles everywhere. When I arrived home, I could have wrung water out of my jacket and my feet were paddling in the water in my shoes, but none the worse for the wear.

No comments:

Post a Comment