Tuesday, July 31, 2012

The San Pedro Mall

Tuesday, July 31, 2012

With a couple of hours to kill this afternoon while waiting for the conversation class to begin at 4:00, I decided to walk to the mall and look around. I went to my favorite ice cream parlor, Pops. It is conveniently located just inside the entrance I use to go in the mall. I say it's my favorite, but in reality, this was only my second visit, but I have enjoyed both trips. So compared to the other ice cream shops in the mall, which I haven't tried, this one is my favorite! Rather than have a cono today, I asked for a copa sencillo (1 scoop in a cup) of chocolate. As always it was delicious. It cost 1.350 colones.

Front entrance to the San Pedro Mall
After eating the ice cream, I decided to check out the 1st floor, which I haven't yet experienced. There are many cell phone dealers, clothing shops, and so forth. I was surprised to encounter an adult store behind the children's toy store! I guess that could be convenient if you are pre-disposed to buying both children's and adult's toys.

At the mall you can find many of the brands you find in the U.S., whether it is cologne, sports gear, or some of the clothing labels. Rather than one food court, there are fast food restaurants on the second and third floors, and other smaller snack kiosks scattered on all 3 floors. There are several banks inside the mall as well as a bookstore, a dentist and doctor's clinic. The movie theater is on the 3rd floor. Epoca Hielo 4 (Ice Age 4), El Hombre Cabellero Oscuro (Batman: The Dark Knight Rises), and Hombre Arana (The Amazing Spiderman) are currently playing. Sometimes you can catch them with English subtitles.


I've been in the mall probably 5 times now and it is always crowded. On the other hand, everytime I go it is during the lunch hour. With all the businesses around, there are probably a lot of people there for lunch.

View inside the mall of all 3 levels of the mall. There are about 4 more floors above the mall. I think they are various offices.



Another view of the mall.


Quiznos, McDonalds and Burger King. Wendy's and Popeye's Chicken are to the left of Quiznos. KFC is across from Quiznos.

2 comments:

  1. Hey Mom --

    Looks like any other Mall in America...I guess Costa Rica likes to keep their people plump with the Fast Food!


    How are things going?!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Everytime I've been there the lines at the American fast food counters are long and the lines at the traditional food restaurants are short or non-existant! Things are going well. Yesterday was a very successful day speaking in my regular class, the conversation class, and my chat with a saleswoman at the mall. The teacher in the conversation class said she can see improvement from last week's class. With 2-1/2 weeks left, I think I will be even better. I wish I could stay for a couple of months, not that I want to be away from you all that long, but I think I would be where I want to be with my speaking if I could have that much practice.

    ReplyDelete