Monday, July 30, 2012

Monday's Ramblings

Monday, July 30, 2012

One week down and three to go.

I am tired tonight. I didn't sleep well last night because with my bedroom at the front of the house, facing the street, I hear everything happening in the vecinidad (neighborhood).  Evidently, few people have mufflers on their cars, and for some reason the past few nights, there have been a lot of cars and trucks running down the street in the middle of the night. The woman next door is dog sitting her daughter's 5 Schnauzers (spelling?). Yesterday morning and this morning, they decided to get into some kind of vicious-sounding, tear-something-apart bru ha ha at 5:00 in the morning. They sounded like a pack of very angry wolves.

I learned a new word today: tapones para oidos. Ear plugs...I bought a large box today.  I had NO trouble asking the store clerk where they were located in the store. Speaking success!!!

I went to the ATM at the San Pedro Mall today during lunch. They are private affairs which look kind of like a phone booth, with several lined up side-by-side. Once inside, I saw they had an English option. Good! I didn't want to take any chances when it came to withdrawing money. I wanted to withdraw $100, so I had to push the button that said 50,000 colones. I just about had a heart attack. I felt like I was withdrawing my entire life's savings. Breathe deeply, Debbie. It was just $100...


10,000 colones, the equivalent of approximately $20.


Various bills & coin, equaling 13,615 colones or roughly $27 and some change.






No comments:

Post a Comment